Home60 RAKsFree PatternsCross StitchNeedlepointPainted PorcelainContact Me

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Need Help - Embroidered ABC Quilt Block Pattern?

HI, Ladies! I hope your week has been a good one. I've been contemplating making an ABC quilt for my grandson. Since I can't sew <g>, I'd like to embroider the letters. So this is where

I NEED YOUR HELP

I've looked all over for cute blocks to either cross stitch or embroider a redwork design, but have come up empty. I saw the sweetest blocks on About.com (they happened to be free) by Cheryl Fall, but the links don't work (SOB!).



I'm willing to purchase the patterns....but I can't seem to find any I like for a little boy. I see cute ones for girls.....

It occurred to me this morning, if anyone can help me, it's all of you. If you have any ideas or sources, please share. Hopefully I can make this in time for his birthday (October) or Christmas.

Many thanks to all - have a great rest of the week and weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Kim
    Have you looked at Mary Corbet's blog - Needle'n'Thread - http://www.needlenthread.com/ ? I know she has lots of free patterns but she also has many links to all kinds of other sites/patterns etc. She's an amazingly skillful embroiderer too.
    It's worth a try.
    Good luck with the search.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a challenge! I found a great website with many free patterns. On the homepage, choose free designs and browse through the categories. For instance, under alphabets there are two designs for each letter. Both for "C" are cats; however, in the nursery section there is a car block which would be very nice to use instead for a little boy. You can find them here:

    http://needlecrafter.com

    Then I fell in love with Crabapple Hill's Snowmen A to Zzzz. The pattern is available on Amazon as well as several quilt shops. This site suggests changing the actual letter color (and explains why she feels it's necessary, which you wouldn't care about if doing red work but makes sense with multiple color embroidery). You can check her out here:

    https://atbquilting.wordpress.com/snowmen-a-to-zzzz/

    Hope you find something you would love working on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame that there are so few patterns geared towards boys. I wonder if you could use the design series you show here, but simply leave off the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good luck, Kim, I hope that both these suggestions work.

    ReplyDelete