Home60 RAKsFree PatternsCross StitchNeedlepointPainted PorcelainContact Me

Monday, November 17, 2014

On the Road Again, Christmas Stitching, Tudor Tuesday

I'll  be heading to visit with my dear step-father tomorrow, returning late Thursday, so not much blogging being done.  HOWEVER…..

I've been busy stitching up Christmas things - a Christmas stocking (I can't show you, it's for Cheryl's Santa's Sack Swap).  Mild panic attack when I thought I'd sewn the lining and batting in backwards….but it was just a brain bubble.  All is well ;0) I've made lots of other goodies to go along for the ride to my swap partner.  I'm almost finished with two ornaments - one for my new little grandson, the second for my step-grand daughter…..now to stitch another.

Tudor Tuesday SAL on FB has opened (or should I say "re-opened"?) the world of the Tudors to me. Here's my progress on Catherine Parr - working on the crown of her plumed hat.  It's worked in long and short stitches in black silk threads and Kreinik copper blending filament.  Copper ribbon and some dark brown floss fill in the lighter areas. Again, the different stitches are a bit out of my comfort zone, but I'm liking the effect.
I also stumbled in to The Tudor Society.  Yes, I joined and love, LOVE the magazines, information, the history of it all.

I got a lot of reading done while holding my grandson for five days.  If you're looking for interesting and good reads, pick up a copy of Cor Rotto: A Novel of Catherine Carey.  She was the daughter of Mary Boleyn and Henry VIII, niece to Anne Boleyn.  Cor Rotto means "broken hearted". Another good read is Intractable Heart - The Story of Katheryn Parr by Judith Arnopp.  Yes, I'm hooked on Tudors.

I'll post more when I return from my travels.

Keep yourself surrounded by stitches ~ Cheers ~


12 comments:

  1. Hi Kim you do such beautiful work my friend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels Kim... See you when you return! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely progress Kim. Have a nice trip.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing a lovely lot of progress, enjoy your time away .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe trip Kim :) Enjoy the time with your S-Dad!
    Love the piece you're working on! I've never tried anything even remotely like that! I understand about how doing those strange stitches wuld feel uncomfortable......BUT.....the effect is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! Have a fun and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Tudor piece is amazing! I love reading historical fiction novels about the Tudors. So much fun that you are reading while holding your grandson. What a perfect thing to do! Enjoy your trip to see your Stepdad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stitching! I really like the effect of the long and short stitches :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful Kim. I am glad you had such a wonderful visit with your new grandson. I hope your next visit with your stepfather is a very good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitching. Two new books added to my Christmas list. Thank you for the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for sharing the good read Kim.. I got to check that book out.. love the tudor period too
    and can't wait to see your finished.. ;)

    ReplyDelete